Monday 24 October 2016

Porcelain clay Jewellery

For the last few days I have been experimenting with a variety of crafting techniques and this has led me to conclude that if you have a passion for creating something then you have endless avenues. All you need is time and ideas and then you have to just sit with your ideas and what comes as the end result is amazing.

My latest fascination has become polymer clay. Though crafters have been using it for quite some time now, I came to know about it only recently. But when I could'nt find polymer clay in my nearby craft suppies stores I was tempted to find a sustitute for polymer clay which was not very difficult to find. Porcelain Clay is an easy to make at home alternative to polymer clay. Its ingredients can be easily found at home and its very easy to make. Moreover its less toxic than polymer clay. All you need is cornstarch (also called corn flour) , White glue, lemon juice, glycerine (optional), Baby oil (olive oil) and some vaseline. Tutorials for making this clay are easily available on the internet and the result comes out as good as the store bought polymer clay.


porcelain clay earrings and pendant

Once made, we can use acrylic colours to get our desired colour. I started by making earrings and matching pendants which go well with one my dresses for Diwali. Porcelain clay is an air drying clay and takes between 2 to 24 hours for drying. Once dry it is as hard as a stone. To weather proof my creation I use clear varnish and leave it to dry for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment